Friday, February 17, 2017

The Ice Breaker

His skates weaved in and out as he cut through the last line. Finally, since 1999, the Colorado Avalanche were in the Stanley Cup Finals. He cut, took his stick up for a slap shot glove side, and bam!...  he scored! The crowd was going wi—

"Liam are you ready up there? Your game starts in an hour."

"Yes mom, I was uh, just getting ready." I better introduce myself, the name is Taylor, Liam Taylor. The Colorado Avalanche are my favorite team; they're not the best, but I will always support them. NHL 17 just came out and I love it. They rated the avalanche quite high which is very satisfing. I shot downstairs and threw on my jersey and pads. (I'm one of those kids that dresses before the game) I'm only an amateur, but if we win this game, I'd be in the NHL draft.

Skates laced up, ready to go, I jumped onto the ice. I instantly made a spinarama across the ice and high fived my best friend, Keith. We were both first liners. Him being a left wing and me and in the right.We were the definition of dynamic duo. Combined we had 34 goals, 21 assists, and a whole lot of fans. None of that would matter if we lost this game.

The quick drop of the puck and we were off, the rapid on-ice pass to our defenseman, who flicked it to Keith, and with one swift moment and slapped on net. There was the first goal.

"It's time for the dynamic duo to strike again bud! Great goal." I yelled excitedly at Keith. It all seemed to be going so well until the third period. 2-1 up, we were killing them. 10 minutes to go. Back and forth hockey is what it was. We were getting tired, but luckily a dump of the puck got us a line change. As we were skating off, the goalie cleared it, and their striker had a one-on-one with the goal tender. He scored, with a goalie getting an assist.

2 minutes left they were on the attack, and another goal. We had no choice but to put in an empty net. 3-3, tie game. We could just not attack well. They were on the attack once again, with an empty net, but I dived, and barely blocked the slap shot. With my face...

That would never phase me in a championship game. I hopped up and with my face bleeding I sprinted down left ice. I cut, just like the video game, I winded up. Before I could, the ice literally broke under me. I hit the ground hard, but again, it was an extremely important game. While on the ground, I threw my stick across the ice. It didn't hit the puck clean, but clipped it enough to deflect it and make it go five whole on the keeper.

Even though the buzzer was blazing, I couldn't help myself up, I just laid there. Carried off the ice by a stretcher. I only realized we won when everyone burst into my hospital room to celebrate. I saved the team apparently. Was I really going to be an NHL bound player? I thought to myself.

Draft day, 2023, I was excited as I could ever be. What really made me shutter, shutter with happiness, was watching my name coming 3rd overall. The pick was by the one, the only Colorado Avalanche! This was the greatest day of my life, it was finally happening. Standing up there with my Av's jersey was amazing. 4th overall was Keith! The Detroit Red Wings...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about hockey, but this story makes me want watch it on tv. I felt so happy and excited for the main character. Nice job writing an interesting story!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of hockey I know the basics, but other than that I have a subpar knowledge of the game. However this story really got me on my toes. I was imagining it as if I was right there watching as a huge fan. Great job.

Post of the Day

The Illuminati

The Illuminati is a secret organization that's secret and has giraffes. But what if somebody where to go to Taco Bell to get tacos and...