Friday, April 21, 2017

My Attempt At Romace

I bit into a sweet chalky wafer as I meandered through the hallway. The gentle roar of sound was comforting aside from the occasional locker slam or distant shout. I heard the gentle *snap* as I crushed the candy in my mouth. I glanced around the blur of other students walking mindlessly to class. I spotted an open locker and wrinkled my nose at the neatness inside. Everything from the small chandelier, to the mirror and book rack. It disgusted me. I slammed the locker shut, drawing the attention of a few people. Out of embarrassment I scurried along the lockers.

I then fell face first into the linoleum floor. After a moment of embracing the pain of my face and praying my nose wasn't broken, I scrambled to my knees. I saw another girl rubbing the side of her head, groaning, and sitting in front of her locker. We locked eyes and before we knew it we both rushed to apologize.

“I am so, so, so sorry,” I profusely began while I swiped messy hair from my face.

“No I'm sorry, I should have been closer to my locker.” She smiled nervously as she spoke. I examined her face and came to the realization that she was new here, as I didn't recognize her and she had a small paper in her hand with a locker combination. I watched her begin to struggle with her locker again.

“Need some help?” I asked. She looked back at me, clearly embarrassed.

“That would be nice,” she chuckled, handing me her information paper. I tried not to linger on anything that wasn't the combo, but I caught sight of her name, Susie Brook. What a pretty name. I started to spin the knob for the locker and decided to make small talk.

“What school did you come from?” I asked, getting the first number.

“The Academy :someone screams on the other side of the hall: .” She replied.

“I’ve heard it's a good school. Why’d ya move?”

“My dad had to move for work. It was pretty nice school though,” A satisfying pop let out from the locker as it opened. It revealed the bland off-white inside.

“M’lady your locker hath been opened,” I presented jokingly. I got up and was about to walk to my class that I was surely late to when-

“Wait!” I spun back around to look at the girl. “I never caught your name.”

“I didn't throw it.” I retorted jokingly. She lowered her brows in disgust. “I’m Carlee, Carlee Cline.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Susie, Susie Brook.” Her voice sung out every word. She held out her hand. I shook it firmly and she stood up. She closed her locker with her foot. “What's your next class?”

“Mr.James’ Advanced math, what about you?” I saw her smile.

“Well Carlee, it appears you have a new classmate.” She flashed her schedule at me, her face brimming with delight. I returned a grin not realizing I was blushing until she giggled at me.

I covered my face in embarrassment. “Can we go get a tardy slip?” I stammered. She nodded. I walked and she skipped. As I walked I took some time to admire her features: gold rimmed glasses framing perfect jade green eyes, freckles doused on her cheeks and hair fluffy and curly bouncing with every step. I admired her choice in outfit, and her confidence. I told myself not to judge to heavily before I got to know her and for that, I was determined.

“Umm, are you alright?” I got so lost in thought I didn't realize the ache of my nose of the slight trickle of blood. I pulled out my phone and looked at my reflection in the glass. I indeed had a bruise and bloody nose. I tapped it with my index finger and felt a stinging sensation that made me wince. Starting a vicious cycle, I pulled a small tissue from my backpack and let it soak up some of the blood without touching my nose.

“If you want, we can go to the nurse's office when we get our tardy pass,” Susie offered. I smirked. She looked so worried, GENUINELY worried.

“That would probably be helpful,” I tried to chuckle. My attempt to lighten the mood was met with failure, as I noticed Susie had a stern, worried glance. I shoved my phone in my pocket as we reached the front office.

“Hello?” The woman at the desk asked hesitantly. I actually knew the woman pretty well; her name was Barbra and everyone called her Ms.Barbra. She was kind, shy, and helpful.

“Hi!” Susie said confidently, “I was hoping we could get a tardy pass to Mr. James’ math? Carlee was helping me with my locker and-” I felt my head spin slightly and fell forward, catching myself on the desk.

“I’d also like to request seeing the nurse?” I said hanging semi-limply on the desk. A frantic nod came from Barbra as she wrote on small yellow pieces of paper, tardy slips, and then stood up.

“Would you like to come with us…” Barbra asked grabbing my arm firmly and jerking me towards her, disorienting me. Susie nodded. Barbra led me to the nurses office and I was met my the sharp eyes of the nurse; Tiffany Reynolds. I was given a angered glare.

“What do you need?” She sighed.

“I think I broke my nose,” I grumbled.

“Suck it up,” she retorted.

“But that hurts. Do you even know how to do your job?” At this point Barbra left the room and Susie was holding back laughter. I smirked slyly. The nurse crinkled her nose and handed me an ice pack.

“If your nose IS broken, I can't do anything,” she sneered. I rolled my eyes and left the room. Susie grabbed my arm and tagged along.

“Let's just go to class.” I mumbled. Susie nodded. She handed me my tardy slip and I led her to the classroom. I opened the door having unwanted attention from my class.

“What is the meaning of your tardiness?” Mr.James announced.

“I was helping Susie with her locker and I tripped and kinda broke my nose. Good enough answer for you?” I held up a tardy slip and Susie did the same. Mr. James rolled his eyes.

“Good enough. Take a seat,” He ordered and I walked to my seat. He started rambling once again and I mindlessly scribbled notes. I looked back at Susie who stared with wonder and fascination as he spoke. I felt my head grow light, was it love? or dehydration? I remembered I left my water bottle in my locker. My version went black and my head slammed on the table. Well, it would’ve if it wasn't for Susie.

Susie swiftly, as soon as she knew what was happening, grabbed me by the shoulders. I was nearly unconscious but my vision allowed one last glimpse at Susie’s face. It was one of the thousands of unnamed emotions. Was it fear, worry, exasperation? Whatever it was she made it look beautiful. Last thing I remembered was her gold rimmed glasses glinting slightly, framing her teary jade eyes.


To be continued....

(I would have posted the whole story but it was long enough as is. So, stay tuned!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this story about a girl and a girl or a girl and a boy? I'm very confused.. other wise nice story

Anonymous said...

It's a girl and girl story. Good question. I'm glad you liked it! :)

Grace Marie said...

Good story! My friend would love this, she's bi.

Anonymous said...

Great story! I'm glad you're telling us the other side of the spectrum. Most writers write about the traditional boy and girl. Great story!

Anonymous said...

This is so nice! I love the relationship you built between Susie and you. It is hard to do that as a writer and you nailed it.

Post of the Day

The Illuminati

The Illuminati is a secret organization that's secret and has giraffes. But what if somebody where to go to Taco Bell to get tacos and...